- Job Code: XCG01
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$12.04 Hourly; $4,332.47 Yearly
Be responsible for the safety of children crossing busy streets and intersections to and from school while maintaining a pleasant, courteous, and helpful attitude toward the school children and the general public at all times.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Provide for the safety of school children at designated school crossings near designated elementary schools.
- Escort children across the street going to and from school.
- Help prevent children from crossing the street during heavy traffic flow until it is safe to cross.
- Report license numbers of cars who fail to slow down near school zones, or who fail to stop for children when signaled to do so.
- Familiarize themselves with the location and purpose of the street traffic signs (such as school signs and speed signs) within the assigned areas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Some knowledge of traffic signals and traffic patterns and behavior.
- Knowledge of basic safety procedures and practices relevant to being a school crossing guard.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to use good judgment when interacting with children.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
Part-Time Job Benefits
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Florida State Retirement Program